Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cheesy Corn Soup

               I have said it before, soup is one of the easiest things to cook.  I find it is a great way to use up vegetables you may have sitting in the fridge for too long.  If you are in a pinch to figure out what to make for dinner and have only a little time, you can always start it on the stove and then move it to a crock pot to finish cooking.

               I made this soup when to be honest, I didn't really feel like cooking.   I wanted something easy that needed little prep work.  I looked in my pantry and saw canned corn.  Nothing could be easier than opening a can of corn. 



Ingredients
  1. 2 Tbl unsalted butter
  2. 2 Tbl flour
  3. 1 onion (Chopped)
  4. 2 cans of corn(drained)
  5. 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable broth
  6. 1 Cup half and half or cream or milk  (I used half and half)
  7. a few drops of Tabasco
  8. 1 1/2 tsp salt
  9. 1/2 tsp thyme
  10. 1/4 tsp pepper
  11. 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
Melt the butter in medium pot on medium.  Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle the flour over the onions and then stir for 3 minutes.  Add the corn.




Slowly add the broth and then stir to incorporate into the flour and veggie mixture.

Add the spices and let the soup come to a boil.  Then lower the heat to medium low and let cook for 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and then puree with an immersion blender.

Add the Cheddar Cheese and incorporate.  Then add the cream.  Taste for seasoning.  If desired add a few dashes of Tabasco.

I added some homemade croutons into the soup and served with salad and rolls.



No comments:

Post a Comment