Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Soy Lime Fajitas


               The first time I had fajitas was in a Houlihan's Restaurant many moons ago.  I thought it was one of the best things I ever ate.  I loved that the meat was not all dry and had a delicious sauce.  The onions were caramelized and so sweet.

                I've had many fajitas since at various restaurants.  Mostly the meat is all dry, without flavor, and the main flavor is supposed to come from the salsa.  Needless to say, eating fajitas is pretty much a hit or miss with me.  I actually do compare all to the Houlihan's recipe.  So yes, I am mostly disappointed.

                I came up with a recipe for fajitas where the meat is flavorful and not dry.  For me, I prefer it to one you would get in a restaurant. 



Ingredients
  1. 1 lb chicken (sliced in pieces)
  2. 1/2 Cup lime juice
  3. 1/4 Cup low soy sauce
  4. 2 cloves garlic, minced
  5. 1/4 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tsp fresh)
  6. 1/8 tsp pepper
  7. 1/4 Cup brown sugar
  8. 1 onion sliced
  9. 1 red pepper sliced (if desired)
  10. tortillas
  11. additionally, you will need sour cream, rice, shredded cheese, salsa for putting together the fajitas.
Combine the lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, pepper, and brown sugar in a bowl.  Once the sugar is dissolved, add the sliced chicken and allow to marinate.  (I had to take the girls to dancing class, so the chicken marinated for about 30 minutes.  It was plenty of time.)
Saute the onion, and pepper(if you desire), in 1 Tbl of olive oil until the onion turns clear.  Add some of the marinade to the onions and stir until the liquid is just about gone.  Remove the onions from the pan.

In  the same pan, (on medium high heat) add another tbl of olive oil and the chicken(no marinade).  Make sure your pan is large enough. You want to sear the chicken pieces.  Saute the chicken so the pieces brown up.  Lower the heat to medium low.
Once the chicken is seared, add a 1/4 Cup of the marinade.  Stir the chicken in the marinade.  The marinade will start to glaze the chicken.  When that bit of marinade is gone, add another 1/4 cup, and stir again.  Continue until all the marinade is gone.  The chicken should be a lovely golden brown color.  As soon as the chicken takes up all the marinade, remove it from the pan.

Just looking at the chicken, you can tell that it is not dry.  It is loaded with flavor and can be eaten straight on it's own.  This is one chicken recipe that will not disappoint. 

I serve it with sour cream, rice, shredded cheese, the sauteed vegetables.  You can also serve it with salsa.  I usually place a tortilla down, and add the chicken and whatever toppings I wish.  Then roll it up and eat.

    




5 comments:

  1. Made this tonight, it was SO GOOD! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I used to work there. I loved their fajitas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many will this feed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It should feed 3-4 depending on appetites.

    ReplyDelete