Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Taco" Pizza


               I recently posted a homemade taco sauce recipe.  It was a hit here in my house.  I wanted to share a recipe that I made using it.  I used it to make a "Taco" Pizza.  It is a pizza, because I use pizza dough for the base and not a tortilla.  The "Taco" part, refers to the spices and the Taco Sauce.  Regardless of the semantics, it's delicious, and if you love tacos you will love this.



Ingredients
  1. Pizza dough, recipe is here
  2. 1 lb ground beef
  3. 1/2 Cup of water
  4. Monterey Jack Cheese
  5. Homemade Taco Sauce
  6. Shredded lettuce
  7. 2 handfuls, more or less, of crushed tortilla chips (I used blue corn)
  8. Homemade Taco Seasoning(Recipe Below)
  9. Sour Cream
Taco Seasoning-  tweaked just barely(from allrecipes.com)
  1. 1 Tbl chili powder
  2. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  3. 1/4 tsp onion powder
  4. 1/4 tsp oregano
  5. 1/2 tsp paprika
  6. 1/2 tsp cumin
  7. 1 tsp sea salt
  8. 1 tsp black pepper
  9. 2 tsp flour
  10. 1/8 tsp cayenne (increase if you want it spicier)
Combine all of the seasonings and store in a container.

Saute the ground beef in 1 Tbl of oil until it is brown.  Drain the fat.

Add 2 1/2 Tbl of Taco Seasoning and stir.  Then add the 1/2 cup of water.  Simmer on low so that the sauce reduces a little.  (Maybe 5 minutes).  You don't want all of the sauce to evaporate.  You still want the beef to have a little moisture.
Prepare the pizza shell by spooning the taco sauce on it.  Use as much as you desire.
Then top it with the ground beef.  Sprinkle the cheese over the beef, also as much as you want.

Place the pizza in a 500F oven.  I place the pizza directly on the rack.  I had already partially precooked the dough prior to placing the toppings.  I cooked it for 7 minutes.

After you remove the pizza from the oven, top it with the lettuce, and tortillas.  You can also add chopped tomatoes if you want.  I then drizzled more of the taco sauce on top, and also drizzled some sour cream over it.




Not one bit of this pizza was left.  I should say that I made a 12 inch pizza with this.  My dough recipe will allow for 3 12 inch pizza's.  The crust will be thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment