Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cauliflower and Onion Tart





                   It's not too often that my husband, myself, and my kids can go out for a nice bistro type lunch.  Okay, how about never.  You can't take 4 kids 11 and under to a cute little restaurant that serves quaint dishes.  Well, if you can't go to the experience, you have to bring it to your home.                    I used to get Bon Appetit magazine delivered.  I stopped receiving it years ago, probably 5 years now.  Luckily, all the recipes can be found at epicurious.com. I once made a cauliflower and onion tart that turned out delicious.  It seems like one of those dishes you would find in a small corner restaurant.
                   I did make some adjustments to the original recipe which you can find here.



Ingredients
  1. 1 cauliflower cut up into small florets
  2. 1 onion diced
  3. olive oil
  4. 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
  5. 1 tsp sugar
  6. 2 eggs
  7. 1/2 Cup of cream
  8. 1 tsp dijon mustard
  9. 1 tsp salt
  10. 1/4 tsp pepper
  11. 1/2 tsp oregano
  12. 2 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
  13. Puff pastry
Heat your oven up to 425F.

Toss the florets with some olive oil and place them in a baking dish.  Roast them in the oven until you see them turning brown, stirring them after 15 minutes.  I like them roasted really well, so it will take about 25 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a frying pan, saute the onion in a Tbl of olive oil on medium low heat.  You want to caramelize the onions so saute until they turn golden brown.  Then add the vinegar to the onions as well as the sugar.  Continue sauteing until the vinegar mostly evaporates.  Remove from the heat.

In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs with the cream, mustard, salt, pepper, oregano, and cheese.

Add the onion mixture to it.  I ended up pureeing the mixture (the whole, my husband won't eat onions if he can see them).  You don't need to do this, but it does seem to spread the onion flavor more.

Remove the cauliflower from the oven and let cool.  You will then chop the cauliflower in smaller pieces.  Add it to the mixture.

Roll out the puff pastry to about 1/4 an inch and place it in a prepared dish.  I used a springform pan.

Pour in the mixture and make sure you spread the cauliflower evenly.

Lower the oven heat to 375F.  Place the pan in the oven and let the tart cook.  It is done when the filling is set.  It takes about 35 minutes.

This is a delicious, savory dish that we all enjoyed.




1 comment:

  1. I've always enjoyed an onion tart, but I'm not sure our young children would. It must be hereditary as their mum won't eat onion. And including cauli in it will most certainly seal its death warrant at our house. Oh well, I'll make this and have it all to myself.

    ReplyDelete