Monday, March 11, 2013

Baked Egg Rolls


               We are headed towards the end of a school year here.  I have been making sure that my kids are fulfilling all of the yearly requirements for my state.  I realized I have neglected this blog with all the goings on.  We have added more activities, like gymnastics, so that has taken from my time.  We also added two new puppies to our mix.  Crate training has been a joy.  So, these are some reasons why I haven't been posting as much.

              With that out of the way, I have an egg roll recipe to share. I bought on a whim, egg roll wrappers at the supermarket.  They had been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks.  I realized that I needed to do something with them before they spoiled.  I just didn't want to deep fry the wrappers.  I think I wanted to come up with something creative to do with them, but alas I realized that most of the time simple is the best way to go.

              Since I had a head of cabbage that didn't want to be turned into cole slaw, (yes, it told me), I realized it would find a good home in a wrapper.    (This is what happens when you deal with 4 kids and 5 pets everyday.)  Oh, I didn't mention we have 2 birds also did I?



              So, some carrots, cabbage, onion, ginger (powdered in my case), and some soy, come together to make a filling for those wrappers.  I think if I would have had some soba noodles on hand I would have thrown those in too.  (Just a suggestion for you.)

             When it comes to the vegetable mixture, you can't go wrong with the measurements.  I will tell you how much I used.

Ingredients
  1. 1 small head of green cabbage, shredded
  2. 2 carrots, shredded
  3. 1 small onion, diced
  4. 1 Tbl oil
  5. 1/2 tsp ginger powder
  6. 2 Tbl soy sauce (I used soy sauce substitute)
  7. Wonton wrappers
Place the oil (I used canola),  in  a pan to heat up.  Once it's heated add the veggies.  Saute until they start to wilt a little.  Then add the ginger and soy and mix.


Remove from the heat.

Lay out a wonton wrapper.  Wet the sides of the wrapper with a wet finger.  Place some filling on one side.  Then fold the bottom up over the filling.  Then fold the sides inward, and finish rolling up.




Place the egg rolls on a greased baking sheet. ( I place foil on my sheet and sprayed it with cooking spray.)  Then spray the top of the egg rolls.  Place the sheet in a preheated 400F oven.

Cook one side until the tops start to brown.  This takes about 10- 15 minutes.  Then flip them over and spray them again.  Let them cook until they are brown on top, about another 10 minutes.


When they are cooled enough to touch, I like to serve them with a dipping sauce that is 1/2 soy sauce, and 1/2 white or rice wine vinegar.

These freeze well, but I wasn't able to reheat them nicely by baking them.  Maybe deep frying will work better after being frozen.  You can always prepare them ahead of time ( day before), but keep them covered in the fridge.  When you are ready to cook them just place them in the oven, and follow the baking directions above.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment