Monday, March 18, 2013

Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


                      Whenever I bake cookies, they mostly end up including chocolate chips.  This tends to disgruntle my 11 year old.  Although she likes chocolate, loves chocolate actually, according to her they do not belong in cookies.  I do beg to differ, but I do need to satisfy her cookie need every once in a while to be fair. 

                       I created these cookies with her in mind.  She loves coconut so I wanted to make a coconut cookie.  I use rolled oats in the ingredients to add some whole grain.  I also use some applesauce to substitute for all butter.  This cuts down on some fat.  Of course there is sugar in these so I will not say they are healthy and go ahead and have about 10 in a sitting, you'll be fine.  I believe in moderation, so a couple with some milk will appease your sweet craving.



Ingredients
  1. 4 Tbl room temperature butter
  2. 1/4 Cup applesauce (I use unsweetened, no high fructose corn syrup or sugar)
  3. 1/2 Cup demera or brown sugar
  4. 1/2 Cup white sugar
  5. 1/2 tsp vanilla
  6. 1 egg
  7. 1/2 Cup rolled oats
  8. 1 Cup all purpose flour
  9. 1/2 tsp baking soda
  10. 1/4 tsp salt
  11. 1 1/3 Cup flaked coconut (unsweetened- I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
In a mixer whip the butter, applesauce, and sugars.

Then add in the egg and vanilla and mix.

In another bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt.

Slowly incorporate the flour mixture in the mixing bowl.

Then add the flaked coconut.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Using rounded teaspoonfuls(I used my teaspoon size cookie scoop), place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet, at about 2 inches apart.

Let them bake for 10- 12 minutes.  The sides should start to turn golden brown.  It took 12 minutes in my oven.

Let them cool for 2 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.  They will flatten out when they cool.

I got 40 yummy, chewy cookies.  They got 2 thumbs up from chocolate chip cookie hater.  I consider that high praise from her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment