Monday, April 15, 2013

Easy Homemade Vanilla Pudding


                 One of my favorite desserts as a kid was pudding.  It was one of the staples of dessert for me at my grandparents' house.  Actually my grandmother didn't make it from scratch when I was a kid.  I guess by that time, plenty of companies were putting out the refrigerated snack packs of pudding.  Nonetheless, those pudding snacks tasted great to my young taste buds.



                I still get nostalgic when I eat pudding because it does bring me back to those warm summer evenings at my grandparents' home.  Since I have been nostalgic lately, I thought I would try and make homemade pudding.  Maybe as my kids get older they'll remember when mom slaved over a hot stove to make them a dessert that took about a few hours to make.  No not really, how about just 10 minutes.

                If you think that it is hard to make pudding, you are so wrong.  As long as you have the ingredients handy all you need is a stove, a saucepan, and a whisk. A two year old can make this, and mine helped me make this.  She loves to help.

Ingredients
  1. 1 Cup whipping cream
  2. 3 Cups whole milk (I am sure you can use lower fat if you want)
  3. 2/3 cup sugar
  4. 1/3 cup cornstarch
  5. 1 Tbl vanilla
  6. 1/4 tsp salt
Simply add all of the ingredients, but the vanilla in a saucepan.  Whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.  Do this before heating up the milk.  Cornstarch actually  dissolves well in cold liquids.

Once the cornstarch is dissolved, put the heat on the burner to medium.  As the milk heats up, the mixture will thicken up.  It takes about 8-10 minutes to thicken.  Once it thickens, just reduce the heat for a minute and stir in the vanilla.  Keep stirring the whole time so you don't burn the pot.

Then pour the pudding into a container.  I covered the pudding with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap touched the top of the pudding so a "skin" wouldn't form.  Then I placed the top on the container.  Now just put the pudding in the fridge to cool.

I served the pudding cold with sliced strawberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment