Sunday, February 24, 2013

Strawberry Syrup for Milk


             Have you ever just gone to the supermarket, pulled something off the shelf that you haven't had in a while, something that you loved as a kid, brought it home, read the label and then yelled at yourself for not reading the label, and how dare you bring that home and put that in your kids' bellies?  Sorry for the run on sentence.

             I bought strawberry syrup for the purpose of getting a child of mine to drink milk.  Who doesn't like strawberry milk?  I remember the first time I ever drank a big food conglomerates strawberry milk.  I will honestly admit that it was so darn good.  I know some people who take the syrup with them on vacation overseas to keep their kids happy.



            Well, the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup, a no-no now in our family.  It also had no strawberry in it.  Yeah, I guess that should have been no surprise.  Obviously, the next step for me was to go ahead and make my own.  I don't know why I had never thought of it before. 

            To make the syrup only takes 3 ingredients, and it is not time consuming at all.

Ingredients
  1. 1 Cup sliced strawberries
  2. 1/4 Cup sugar
  3. 1/4 Cup water
Slice up strawberries. 
Dissolve for sugar in the water over medium heat.

Then add the strawberries.  Bring the water to a boil and let the strawberries cook until they are softened well.  I let them cook for 10 minutes.


Then place the syrup in a blender, and blend it until the strawberries have been pulverized.  You can then strain the seeds out.

This made 1/2 cup syrup.  I used it to make delicious strawberry milk.  My husband, who actually only likes the artificial strawberry flavoring, liked the milk with real strawberry syrup. 

You can use frozen strawberries.  I think this would be a great to add to a vanilla ice cream base for ice cream or use by itself to make sorbet popsicles.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment