Monday, December 17, 2012

Mango Lime Chicken Fajitas


               My husband recently bought a Nutribullet blender.  He bought it to mix up protein shakes for after he exercises.  Then he started mixing up smoothies for the kids.  I had to play with it as well of course.  Now I didn't mix smoothies, but made salad dressings with it.  It was amazing how thick they became.  Okay, but I am not a commercial for the product so let me get back to the purpose of this post.

             The tropical flavors of the smoothies my husband was making gave me the idea of coming up with a tropical chicken dish.  It was going to be in the form of a fajita.  I had no tortillas so I thought it would be neat to make homemade tortillas.  I am not going to post a recipe for the tortillas because although they tasted fine, making them was a disaster.  The recipe I used had way too much liquid and not enough flour.  The dough was a gloppy mess that I had to keep adjusting to get any
semblance of a dough.  I will keep trying to make a great tortilla that doesn't leave a floury mess everywhere, and when I do, I will post it.  For now, here is my recipe for Mango Lime Chicken Fajitas which came out so good you will think you are hearing kettle drums in the background.



Ingredients for the marinade
  1. 1 Cup sliced mango and puree
  2. 1/4 Cup of fresh lime juice
  3. 2 Tbl honey
  4. 1/2 Cup canola oil
  5. 1 tsp minced garlic
  6. 1/4 of a small sweet onion
  7. 1 tsp salt
  8. 1/4 tsp cumin
  9. 1/2 tsp dry oregano
I put all of the ingredients in the blender and let it whirl.

I diced up 1 pound of chicken.  I placed it in a zip top bag and poured half of the marinade in it.  I placed it in the fridge to marinate for 3 hours.

After marinating, I sauteed the chicken in a pan.  I added more marinade to the chicken as the liquid cooked down.  I really wanted the chicken to have a good coating of the marinade.  In the summer you can always cook this on a grill and just baste the chicken with the marinade.

I also sliced up an onion and pepper and cooked them in a separate pan.  I doused them with the marinade as well.

When the chicken was done, I placed it and the onion on a tortilla.  I topped them with the onion and peppers.  I also placed some sour cream and shredded cheese on them. 


1 comment: