Monday, December 31, 2012

Hot Fudge Sauce


                My son loves chocolate.  We found that out on a trip to Disney World.  He was 2 years old at the time.  We were at a restaurant and it was time for dessert.  We ordered the kids "do it yourself sundae".  Basically it was vanilla ice cream with 3 different toppings, one of which was hot fudge.  I poured some of it over the ice cream and left the rest in the little cup.  As soon as he put the fudge in his mouth you could see his pupils dilating.  He licked up that hot fudge like he would never get a chance to ever eat it again.  It was all over his face, and I remember his little baseball outfit got a bit of a taste of that fudge.  I ignored the stains because just seeing the joy in his eyes made me melt.  It's amazing how the seemingly simplest things in life can make us happy.  It's those simple moments that put life in perspective.  I try and soak up those moments because I know that one day my kids will not be underfoot all of the time. 



                So with my little boy in mind I made hot fudge.  I like that it does not contain any corn syrup in it.

Ingredients
  1. 2 Cups of heavy whipping cream
  2. 1 Cup of brown sugar
  3. 1 stick of unsalted butter
  4. 18 oz of chocolate chips (about a bag and a half of Nestle chocolate chips)
  5. 1/8 tsp salt
  6. 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
 Melt the butter in a sauce pan on medium heat.  Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.

Add the cream and bring to a simmer.

Then stir in the chocolate chips until they melt.  Finally add the salt and vanilla.

Cook the sauce until it is smooth.  Remove from heat.

At this point I pour the fudge into a container and let it cool.  It will thicken up a lot when it is cool.  I store it in the fridge.  To reheat it, scoop out what you want and place in the microwave for a few seconds.

This is great with ice cream and I also used it for a Boston Cream Pie Trifle, which I will be posting shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment