Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Garlic Knots


                   It can be so hard to get some kids to eat vegetables.  My oldest loves pretty much anything that grows in a garden.  She saw me preparing brussels sprouts the other day and said "hurray, we're having brussels sprouts".  My 5 year old willingly eats some.  My 24 month old is just at the "yuck" stage with pretty much anything you put in front of her.  My 9 year old son is the biggest problem with vegetables.  He has to be tricked into eating his veggies.  One way I do this is by making soups.  He loves tomato based soups.  I will just throw some extra vegetables in a tomato soup and he doesn't suspect a thing.  I will ask him later how he enjoyed his red peppers, or squash, and he'll give me the "huh?" look. 



                   A fun way to eat soup is of course by having something to dip into the bowl.  I found a garlic knot recipe on King Arthur Flour's website.  I thought this would be great for tomato soup, or my creamy roasted pepper soup.  This is also a recipe your kids can help with once you get to the tying knot stage. They can practice their knot tying skills.

Ingredients

1.  3 Cups all purpose flour
2.  1/4 cup milk
3.  3 tablespoons  potato flour
4.  1 tablespoon sugar
5.  2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast.  (If using active dry, you need to proof it first in 1/4 cup of warm water with 1/4 tsp of sugar until it bubbles.  You will also decrease your water to 3/4 Cup.

6.  1 1/4 teaspoons salt
7.  1 tsp garlic powder4 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor
8.  2 tablespoons olive oil
9.  1 cup lukewarm water


Glaze
  1. 4 Tbl unsalted butter
  2. 1/4 tsp salt
  3. 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves or more of minced garlic
Combine all of the ingredients in a bread maker or mixing bowl.  In a bread maker, push the dough cycle and let the dough knead.  When it doubles in bulk 60-90 minutes it's ready for the next stage.





If you are kneading by hand, first whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  Then add the liquid.  Mix until you have a nice elastic dough.  Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.












  
After the rise take the dough and form it into a rectangular shape.  I used my hands.  I then used a pizza cutter to form 16 pieces.  If a piece was too small, I stole from a larger piece.








  
Then roll the dough pieces so they are about 11 inches long.  



 Just tie a regular knot and tuck down the loose ends.  Let them rise again for about 45 minutes or until they are puffed up.



Place them in a preheated 350F oven for 15-18 minutes.   


 Melt the butter, salt, and garlic.  Brush this over the knots.  Serve them warm.  They are also fine at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment