Monday, December 10, 2012

Roasted Pepper Soup


                  It's soup day today.  This means that I have some open jars or cans or vegetables needing cooking before an unwanted science project begins.  Today for example, I had an open can of tomato paste in the fridge, as well as a jar of opened roasted peppers.  So, it wasn't hard for me to figure out what would be finding its way into the pot.

                  My 5 year old will only eat soup that is red.  I don't why, but that is how it is right now.  This soup will therefore have the right color for her.  So when she asks "what color is the soup?".  I can say "it's red."  Then she will say "yay, I want a bowl of soup", instead of "I don't like that color", to which I will just roll my eyes and shake my head in frustration.



Ingredients
  1. 1 Tbl oil (I used canola)
  2. 1 medium onion, diced
  3. 5 roasted peppers, chopped (I used 3 red and 2 yellow).
  4. 4 cloves of garlic minced
  5. 3 Tbl butter
  6. 1/4 cup flour
  7. 2 Tbl tomato paste
  8. 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
  9. 1/2 tsp dry thyme
  10. 1 1/2 tsp salt
  11. 1/4 tsp pepper
  12. 1 cup half and half
First saute the onion in the oil, on medium heat,  until it is translucent.  This takes about 5 minutes.  Then add the peppers and continue to saute for a few minutes.

Now add the garlic and tomato paste.  Continue to stir.


Move the vegetables to a side of the pot and place the butter in the empty spot.  Let it melt and then add the flour.  Mix the flour and butter together well, and then combine the vegetables.  Stir for 5 minutes.
 Now slowly add the chicken broth.  Add the spices and let the soup come to a boil.  Once it comes to a boil, let it simmer for 15 minutes.

Puree the soup with an immersion blender.  Then add the cream and stir.
 This came out so good that my husband wanted to go to the store to buy more peppers right away.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment