Monday, January 21, 2013

Cauliflower and Cabbage Mash


                    It seems like I am on cauliflower overload with another cauliflower recipe.  I posted a recipe for bubble and squeak a little while back.  I thought I would share a low carb version that I made, which went over well.

                     If you are looking to reduce your carb intake, this is a new tasty side dish that won't leave you missing the potatoes.  Cabbage and cauliflower also have anti carcinogenic properties, which potatoes lack, so this is another benefit of switching out potatoes to cauliflower.

                     If you don't like cabbage, leave it out and use this as a recipe for mashed cauliflower.  The roasted cauliflower makes a great mashed cauliflower, and it tastes better than if it is steamed or boiled.  



Ingredients
  1. 25 Oz. of cauliflower florets(you don't want them too large)
  2. 2 Cups diced cabbage (I did this by hand and not in the food processor.  I used my measuring cup as a measure.)
  3. 6 Tbl olive oil
  4. 1 tsp salt
  5. 1 head of garlic (this is going to be roasted as well)
Preheat your oven to 400F. 

Cut the top 1/4 of the garlic for roasting.  Drizzle it with olive oil and wrap in foil.  Place in the oven.

Place the florets and cabbage in separate baking dishes.  Drizzle each vegetable with 3 Tbl of olive oil.  Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt on each vegetable.  Toss the veggies to coat with the salt and oil.  Then place them in the oven.  Roast them for about 30 minutes.  (This includes the time for the garlic.  Everything should come out at the same time).  If you see that the veggies aren't browning, then let them go longer.  The amount they brown is up to you.  I personally like the cabbage caramelized, so I let it brown more.


Remove the vegetables from the oven.  Place the cauliflower in a bowl, along with the roasted garlic.  With a stick blender puree them.  You don't need to add any liquid or any more fat.  Then mix in the cabbage.  Taste for salt and add more if necessary.

This would make 4 servings as a side, so adjust amounts if needed.  My cauliflower was half of a really large head.

No comments:

Post a Comment