Monday, September 3, 2012

Carrot Slaw

         
             I love slaws.  I actually prefer slaws made without mayonnaise to those with. I'm just not that big of a fan of mayonnaise.
            Whenever I think of a slaw, and maybe it's just me, I just think of cabbage mixed with carrots.
            Now when I was making a slow cooker chicken recipe, I thought that it would be great to combine chicken and slaw in a wrap. I was thinking of some sort of Asian kind of sandwich wrap.  A crunchy vegetable slaw with a type of vinaigrette.  A great summer barbecue accompaniment even.
            I had carrots and celery in the fridge at the time.  I thought okay, I'll use them in this slaw.  Why not?
            I use honey for sweetness, and lime and apple cider vinegar for tanginess in the dressing.  The dressing works great for this slaw, and would probably would work with cabbage.  If you use cabbage in addition,  you should probably warm the vinegar and honey on the stove top first and pour it over the cabbage, so the cabbage wilts a bit.
            This slaw can be made a day ahead of when you want to use it, and should be good for a week in the fridge.



Ingredients
  1. 4 carrots
  2. 2 celery sticks
  3. 1/2 cup oil (Canola is what I used)
  4. 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  5. 1Tbl lime juice
  6. 3 Tbl honey
  7. 1/2 tsp salt
Simply shred the carrots in a food processor.
Cut the celery in small matchsticks.
Combine the carrots and celery in a bowl.


Then whisk the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour over the carrots and celery.  Place the slaw in the fridge to chill.
This slaw goes great with my slow cooker chicken recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment