Friday, September 28, 2012

Spiral Top Buns


               I wanted to post another bread recipe.  I find it is so easy to make bread/ rolls, that I don't get intimidated by a recipe anymore.  I just go for it.  No fear here.  Having a bread machine does make it easier but you can use a stand mixer or the old fashioned way, use your hands.  The bread machine makes it less messy though.

               I needed rolls for my sloppy joe recipe.  I decided to use a recipe from King Arthur Flour that I found.  It was their onion bun recipe.  Only difference is that I didn't use onion.  I made them plain, but sprinkled poppy seeds on top.


Ingredients
 



  • 3/4 cup warm water to 1 cup(if you use active dry yeast, it will be 3/4 Cup)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder




  • 1 tablespoon instant yeast. ( I have active dry yeast.  To use active dry in the recipe, dissolve 1 Tbl active dry yeast in 1/4 cup of water with 1/4 tsp sugar.  Let it proof for at least 5 minutes.  You will see the mixture bubble and become frothy.


  • For a bread machine, add your water and butter.  Whisk the egg and drop it in the breadmaker.  Add the rest of the ingredients with the yeast being the last.  Turn on the dough cycle.  Let the dough rise until it doubles in bulk.  It took about 70 minutes to rise.

    If you use a mixer or mix by hand, just combine all of the ingredients and place the dough in a greased bowl.  Cover it and allow to rise until it is doubled in bulk.

    When the dough has risen, roll it out in a 17 x 18 inch rectangle.  (I rolled it on parchment I sprayed with cooking spray.)

    Then starting at the top, roll the dough up into a cylinder.



    Cut the dough every 2 inches so that you form 9 rolls.  Take each bit of dough and press it down on the parchment so it forms a circle.  Cover and let the dough rise for another hour.


    Preheat the oven to 375F.

    To make the dough golden on top, you can brush the tops with melted butter(which is what I did), or an egg wash.  Sprinkle the top with poppy seeds if desired.  You can use sesame seeds also.

    Place the rolls in the oven.  They took 20 minutes to cook in my oven.

    These are beautiful looking rolls.  They taste delicious as well! A great compliment for sloppy joe's, a hamburger, any sandwich, or on there own.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment