Sunday, September 2, 2012

Banana Ice Cream

      
              Have you ever had Banana's Foster?  The caramelized banana's, the lovely smell.  Nope, I never had it.  I really don't like eating banana's.  I don't prefer the texture.  I do love the flavor of them though.  Weird, huh!  I love banana milkshakes, banana ice cream, banana muffins, etc.  As long as there are no chunks of banana, I'm good.

              The supermarket had banana's on sale this week, and  I thought why not make a Banana's "Not" Foster Ice Cream.  (No rum).

              My awesome ice cream machine makes making ice cream a breeze.

              I cannot stress how great it is to make your own food like ice cream and control the ingredients.  Have you ever really read the labels on store bought ice cream?  It's scary.  There is also the satisfaction of being able to make something yourself.

             Ice cream is neat because you can come up with so many flavors.  Our imaginations are the only things that can hold us back.  Okay, food preferences can too.  With this ice cream I wanted to put a swirl of chocolate in it but my 11 year old said she wouldn't eat it if there was chocolate in it.  I compromised my want by dipping Hershey bars in it.  The chocolate craving was definitely satisfied by doing this.



             My ice cream recipe is a follows.

 Ingredients:
  1. 3 banana's
  2. 1/2 Cup brown sugar
  3. 1 Tbl butter
  4. 4 Tbl water
  5. 2 Cups cream
  6. 1/2 Cup milk
  7. 1 cinnamon stick
  8. 1 Tbl vanilla
  9. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Slice your bananas.

In a saucepan, add the water and sugar.  Dissolve the sugar on medium low heat.

Add the butter and cinnamon stick.


Add the banana to the saucepan.

Put the heat on low and let the bananas soften.  Oh, the smell of bananas and melted brown sugar....

While the bananas are softening mix the milk, cream, vanilla, and ground cinnamon.

When the bananas and have softened, about 10-15 minutes, add them and all the syrup to the cream.

Take the immersion blender and blend the banana's into the cream.

Note: If you want the ice cream to have chunks of banana, place some of the banana on the side. Chop them in smaller pieces.  Depending on the ice cream machine, you may only be able to add the fruit only after the ice cream is churning in the ice cream maker.

Now cover the ice cream mix, cover and refrigerate it for 2 hours.

After 2 hours get the ice cream maker ready.  Turn it on, and immediately pour it into the ice cream maker.

In 15 minutes you've got creamy home made banana ice cream.  Yummy with a Hershey Bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment