Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sundried Tomato Pesto




              I purchased a basil plant at the supermarket the other day.  It was not on my list.  It was one of those impulse buys that I try and keep myself from giving into.  I stared at the plant, along with the dill and parsley plants, and suddenly I had an epiphany.  Why can't I just find a spot by the kitchen window and I can have fresh herbs all year long?  Okay, an epiphany for me, I know plenty of people are all ready doing this.    It's actually funny that I only had this epiphany, because for years I would buy fresh picked herbs from the produce shelves, bring them home and then complain that I wouldn't be able to use them all before they would go bad.  Anyway, those three small herb plants now have a home in my kitchen.

             Whenever I think of basil, I usually automatically think pesto.  I had a jar of sun dried tomatoes that I had been wanting to do something with.  Put 2 and 2 together and you get sun dried tomato pesto .  Pesto's are great because they can be used as sandwich spreads, on pasta, as a base for a pizza, and I am sure for numerous other uses.



Ingredients
  1. 8 sun dried tomatoes
  2. 3 oz. tomato puree
  3. 2 cloves of garlic
  4. 2 1/2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
  5. 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
  6. 1 Tbl fresh basil
  7. 1 Tbl fresh parsley
  8. 1 oz. walnuts
  9. 1 oz. parmesan cheese
  10. 2 oz. olive oil
  11. 1 Tbl chopped onion
This recipe makes about a cup of pesto.

First, soak your sun dried tomatoes in warm water to rehydrate them.  You're looking at about 5 minutes. 

While they are soaking add all of your other ingredients, except the oil and cheese into a food processor.  Then add the sun dried tomatoes.  Pulse the mixture until it is smooth.  You can taste it at this point to see if you will want to add salt.  I didn't think it needed it.



Then add your olive oil and parmesan cheese to the pesto.  Pulse for a couple of seconds and it's done.

I used it as a spread for a roasted vegetable sandwich,

and for spaghetti with roasted vegetables.

I am thinking it might work as a good spread for pizza rolls also.

              

             

            

No comments:

Post a Comment