Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Creamy Tomato Soup

             
                 Our tomato plants are still popping out those tomatoes.  Yes, it is still summer but I decided to make a creamy tomato soup today.  Tomato soup is usually a fall or winter thing, but since we've gone from 90 plus degree temperatures to the low 70's, the last two days has made it feel like the fall.
                 I decided to use some of my fresh garden tomatoes in this so I roasted a bunch in the oven.  I covered the baking dish with foil so the juices wouldn't go splattering everywhere and smoke up the house when the oven door was opened.
               I roasted them in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes at which point the skin looked shriveled.  I then let them cool while they were still covered with the foil. (This just allows for easier peeling of the skin.)  After they cooled off enough I peeled, de-seeded, and chopped them.  After chopping they ended up making 12 ounces.
                 Next I diced a small sweet onion and sautéed it in a large pot with a tablespoon each of canola oil and butter on medium heat.

                 When the onion softened, I added my chopped tomatoes as well as a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, and 2 cups of chicken broth.  At this time I also added 4 cloves of garlic, a handful of basil, and salt and pepper.  I let that cook for about half an hour on medium low.

                  After the soup cooked for the half hour, I puréed it with my stick blender.  I then added half a cup of cream and one cup of skim milk.
               
                  I then had my husband try it and he gave me the thumbs up.
                My 5 year old dipped her grilled cheese in this and was quite happy with the outcome.  A most comforting meal.

Ingredients
  1. 1 small sweet onion
  2. 42 ounces of crushed tomatoes in puree, or supplement a 28 oz can with your own chopped, peeled, de -seeded tomatoes.
  3. 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
  4. 4 cloves of whole garlic
  5. a handful of fresh basil
  6. 1 tsp of salt
  7. 1/2 tsp of pepper
  8. 1 cup of skim milk
  9. 1/2 cup of cream
The fresh basil gave the soup a great flavor, so I don't know what using dry will do to it.  You can always substitute all milk.  I wanted the soup to be creamy, but not too fattening so that's why I used part milk and part cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment