Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Farro Salad

 
    Farro is something new to me actually.  It is not a new grain though.  Apparently it is quite an ancient grain and was mainly grown in Italy.  You can read about it here.  I recently tried it in a restaurant.  They had it as a main ingredient in a salad and I loved it.  I knew I had to try and make it some day.
   While at the supermarket the other day in the "organic/ natural" section looking for dried chick peas, I came across a package of Farro.  I then remembered I wanted to try and cook it at home, so I took it.  Hmm, there was just one other package left, so either it's popular, or the supermarket doesn't order that much of it.  Granted I live in more of a rural setting, so who knows?

    Farro has a chewy texture and seems to take the flavor of what you dress it with.  It apparently is super healthy as it is a whole grain.  Have I not convinced you to try it?  Please do, it's really, really good.
   
It is really easy to cook, no different than cooking pasta actually.

I made a salad like the one I enjoyed in the restaurant.  I was not sure of the ingredients that the restaurant had used, but I was really pleased with the recipe I came up with.

Ingredients
  1. 1 cup of farro
  2. 3 cups of water
  3. 1 cup of halved grape tomatoes
  4. a handful of parsley
  5. 1/4 cup of feta cheese
  6. 1 clove of minced garlic
  7. 3 Tbl balsamic vinegar
  8. 1/4 cup canola oil
  9. 1/2 tsp of salt
  10. dash of pepper
The directions on the farro said to rinse them first, so I rinsed the cup of them.  Add the farro to 3 cups of water in a small pot.  (You do not add the farro after the water has boiled.)  Once the water has boiled set your timer for 15 minutes.


In the meantime cut up your tomatoes and chop up the parsley.  Add them to a bowl.  Add your feta cheese.   Feta is optional.  I figured this is a Mediterranean dish so Feta seemed a natural add in, and I like it.

In a small mixing bowl, combine your garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Once the farro is done cooking after 15 minutes, drain it and let it cool a bit.  Once it is cooled add it to the tomato and parsley mixture.  Then top it off with the dressing.
You can serve it right away or place in the refrigerator and serve it up cold.


It is a great, light summer dish.  And maybe farro is a new food you can enjoy as well?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I have been using the same salad idea with quinoa(sort of has the same cooking method). But you know, I've never cooked with farro... been on my mind for the longest time. Will definitely need to buy some soon:). Thanks for sharing the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for coming and checking out my blog! I so, do appreciate your comments. Now quinoa, I have never cooked that. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete