Monday, August 6, 2012

Home Made Bread Crumbs

          
           I have been making my own bread for a while now with my Zojirushi.  I love it and cannot see my life without it now.  The problem with bread of course is the end pieces.  Nobody seems to want to eat them.  My husband or I will sacrifice(sarcasm) ourselves and eat the first outside slice. But as the bread whittles its way down to the other end, I start a new loaf because I know no one will finish it off.  I am not for wasting food though so I make breadcrumbs out of the remaining bit.  It is really easy and a great way to use up bread you know will not get eaten.  It was also the only thing I was able to cook when my 20 month old did this with the pots and pans.

           I know, why put up a post on something so seemingly simple as breadcrumbs.  Well, up until a few months ago, I was buying breadcrumbs myself.  I figure if I never thought of making breadcrumbs, maybe some other people didn't.  It's a great way to save a little money and they really do taste better than store bought.
           Start by preheating your oven to 350F.
           Then rip up your leftover bread and place it in your food processor.
            Use the pulse button until the bread crumbs are to a consistency you are looking for.

            Pour the breadcrumbs on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and place in your oven.
            All ovens are different of course.  I set my timer to 15 minutes and during cooking stir the breadcrumbs around.
            When they look lightly toasted remove from the oven.

            When they have cooled a bit you can place the breadcrumbs in a zip top bag and place it in your fridge or freezer.

            They are now all set for anything from chicken cutlets to toppings for casseroles.  When  you use them as a topping for a casserole be sure to toss them in olive oil first.  Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment